Sunday 29 September 2024

Old video games - a yearning for the past?

I've just read the following article that's just been published today: 

Video games are the new frontier for pop culture’s obsession with the past

I vary rarely play video games, but if I do it's the ones from the late 90's or early 00's. Games like the early tomb raider and resident evil games, half life, the very first far cry (but none of the sequels). 

Why don't I play modern video games? Well, it has nothing to do with an obsession with the past. Rather modern games just bore me rigid. I hate these cutscenes in modern games which break up the action and force you to effectively watch a film (why do they imagine I don't just watch a DVD??). And having to gather materials, hunt animals, and craft items and all the other tedious stuff. For me they are just a chore to play, the people who design them seem to be trying to make them realistic and have forgotten that the whole raison d'etre of video games is to have fun

But I'm very happy to play remastered late 90's and early 00's games.  And even remakes (remastered and remakes are not the same thing).

No comments:

Old video games - a yearning for the past?

I've just read the following article that's just been published today:  Video games are the new frontier for pop culture’s obsession...