Thursday 16 September 2021

Facebook vs Twitter

I have approximately 300 friends on facebook and 248 followers on twitter. 86% of my posts (tweets) on twitter on my wall (or whatever it's called on twitter) attract neither likes, comments nor shares. This figure is only 50% for facebook. So I've concluded I'm wasting my time putting my thoughts on twitter, so I'm jacking it in. Also, I find the 280 character limit on there infuriating.

Anyway, even the 50% of my posts completely ignored on facebook seems to be pretty bad compared to the number of likes and comments other people get (and it's always the same ~10 people out of my 300 friends that ever react or comment). A lot of my comments on there I duplicate in this blog. Probably my comments are too long for peoples attention span? Even this post here that I also put on facebook only attracted just the one like and zero comments. Got to confess I was quite surprised!

On this note I found this article interesting. It says:


Someone introduces a controversial subject and people begin to choose the anger reaction button, which is worth five points each time it is used. The [meaningful social interactions metric] is rising and more users see this in their News Feed.

I think you have to either say stuff like "jus' been drinking", or post something controversial without any attempt at balance in order to attract comments and reactions. But I don't like to do that, I like to adopt a measured approach.  But that will be bad for getting my posts promoted up peoples newsfeeds!


No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...