Thursday 16 September 2021

Always more downvotes than upvotes

I've noticed something rather curious; namely I always appear to get more downvotes than upvotes.  This is the case whether we're talking about my comments in the mail newspaper, my Amazon reviews (although we're unable to downvote now on Amazon), and I've just discovered today even on my youtube videos of me playing space invaders and Far Cry 3!

OK, with the mail, with my controversial views, I might expect more downvotes than upvotes as a total across all my comments, although I was unable to find anyone else where their downvotes exceed their upvotes. 

Amazon reviews are more puzzling.  But, I think on average, people tend to be more gushing in their reviews than I am, and they write shorter ones on average too.  People might tend to prefer positive reviews of products if they are looking to purchase something.

But computer games??  Here's me playing the original space invaders, and space invaders pt 2.  A total of 2 upvotes and 4 downvotes for both videos.  I had a look at a few other space invader videos played by other people, perhaps 15 or so.  There were a couple that attracted 0 votes, but none where the total of downvotes exceeded that of the upvotes.

Quite curious at this point I looked at one other video I've uploaded, a short video of me playing Farcry 3.  0 upvotes and 2 downvotes . .er . .  colour me baffled.  Why would someone click on a video of me playing space invaders or Far Cry 3 and downvote it?   

I feel this kinship with Novak Djokovic​. Neither of us are destined to be popular with the masses!

No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...