Tuesday 20 October 2020

A review of the Fire HD 10 Tablet

This is so incredibly frustrating. I bought this tablet in order to read books on it. After having possession of it for a few hours I've arranged to send it back to Amazon.

The main problem is that no matter what I do, I simply cannot transfer any non-Amazon purchased books to the tablet. These books do not have drm, they are in mobi format, they have no problem in being transferred to my kindle paperwhite. I've also tried to transfer my own docx and txt files, but they can't be viewed either.

I've tried connecting the tablet to my PC and copying the books over to the books folder (and other folders on the off chance). No luck there. I've tried the calibre software -- it claims the books have transferred and lists them as being on the device. But the kindle app on the tablet doesn't detect them. I've tried sending using the kindle email. That doesn't work. I downloaded this software called "Amazon send to kindle". That doesn't work either. 

I've spent so many hours trying to get this thing to work. I've been chatting with a fair few people on Amazon's customer support. I'm not used to mobiles or tablets and have never read an ebook on one, so perhaps I'm simply missing something very simple. But sometimes you just have to give in. I'm sick of my life being sucked away trying to get modern technology to work. I've had enough . .nay . .more than enough.

Also, on first switching on, it was asking me for my name and address and other details, and then I couldn't get the home page. Swiping up from the padlock simply got a message saying 'wait a min', which lasted interminably, and eventually presented itself with the same locked screen! I eventually sorted it by a hard reset, or factory reset or whatever (can't remember now). This time I wasn't asked for my name and address (why not??) and it simply asked for my email and other stuff instead. This time it all went more smoothly.

Until, that is, I tried to use Alexa and tried to view kindle books actually purchased from Amazon. It threw up errors. Eventually I discovered the wifi had an exclamation mark over it (even though it had already detected my wifi). Simply pressing the wifi icon solved that. But the tablet keeps losing the wifi connection where I simply need to press the wifi icon to reconnect. So what the heck is all that about?? 

And every time I connect to my PC I have to go to the settings and alter some setting to file transfer. Every single time! Unless I do that no folders on the fire are visible. 

OK I've spent many many hours on this thing trying to sort it out. Hours I'll never get back. It's going back. What a complete waste of money.

No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...