I thought I would calculate how much food prices have increased in the past year. These are some of the food products I bought from either Morrisons or Sainsburys. I've only included those products that are identical. I haven't deliberately chosen the one's that have increased the most, I've just included those foods I could actually find. In all cases, for those products that continually cycle up and down in price, I've always bought at the low end of the price cycle, i.e., so-called "offers".
So, as an average, the price I pay for food at supermarkets appears to have roughly increased by 15% in the past year. I do not know how that compares to the official figures. Obviously, it might be the case that the food I've included increased disproportionately compared to average food price increases. But I doubt it will be wildly inaccurate. So, for instance, I doubt claims that food has only risen by about 10% in the past year that I've heard bandied around (although that might have been around a month ago, and prices are relentlessly sharply increasing).
NB: Apart from a couple of posts where I directly quote AI to enable me to address and argue against what it says, AI has not otherwise been used in any shape or form in either this blog nor my "Philosophical Thoughts" blog.
Friday, 22 July 2022
The increase in the price of food from July 2021 to July 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you enjoy reading this article?
When browsing and reading articles on the web I frequently encounter the question of whether I am enjoying reading the article in question o...
-
I recently read the following article: What the Buddha Didn't Teach About Reincarnation It says: "This is not to say that “we” ...
-
Someone on twitter/X asked the following question: A mathematician emerges from a cave, hands you the photo below, and asks "Will a c...
-
Below on the left is a photo of me taken back in 1985. I uploaded that photo to ChatGPT and said to it "Generate an image of what this ...
-
There's 2 possibilities: a) This is the only life there is. When we die we simply cease to exist. Our lives and the Universe are, in a...
-
Someone said in a comment under a Guardian article: My solution to this problem is somewhat simplistic. I don't do social media. As in...
-
The Wikipedia page on Lucy Letby First of all, let me say at the outset that I'm really loath to comment on whether I think she's gu...
-
It keeps being claimed (eg David Papineau, Sean Carroll et al ) that if consciousness caused anything in the brain over and above physical c...
-
Woody Allen has said : I firmly believe ... that life is meaningless. I’m not alone in thinking this — there have been many great minds far...
-
According to this article Greenland is the country with the world's highest suicide rate. From 1900-1930 Greenland had a suicide rate ...
-
Sobering thought to think that by around 2150 I will have been completely forgotten -- as if I had never existed. Unless my blogs survive...
No comments:
Post a Comment