Sunday 14 June 2020

Free Will

What the heck do people mean when they claim we don't have free will? That our consciousness doesn't actually do anything? Look, we are directly acquainted with our ability to move our bodies, say what we think, think what we will, etc. It's sheer lunacy to suppose we don't have free will in this sense. I know that many scientists say we don't, but many of them are the same people who assert animals are not conscious. People need to get real, stop believing the most transparent falsehoods just because someone in authority says it. Exercise a bit of common sense.

Or some might concede our consciousness is causal, but say this doesn't amount to free will. We do what we do because of what we are, and all that malarkey. This seems to me to amount to little more than I do what I do because of my essence. Well gosh, I'm a happless puppet of my essence...  Meaningless nonsense, a desperate attempt to rescue this "no free will" claim.

For those interested, on my other blog I have written a comprehensive essay on this whole issue. Possibly my best ever blog post, although unfortunately it hasn't garnered much interest, nor comprehension. Go here.

No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...