I think many people are extremely averse to feeling their lives are to no ultimate avail and that the Universe has no purpose and just exists by happenstance. Equally it is repugnant to people and that they will cease to exist forevermore when they die.
I agree with atheists/materialists that this is why most of us believe in an afterlife and God. We want it to be true so we believe it, although deep down I feel many of us don't really believe it.
The mistake here though is to imagine that just because someone believes something because it makes them feel better, then it is false. There are compelling arguments and evidence to reject materialism and all that it implies.
NB: Apart from a couple of posts where I directly quote AI to enable me to address and argue against what it says, AI has not otherwise been used in any shape or form in either this blog nor my "Philosophical Thoughts" blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you enjoy reading this article?
When browsing and reading articles on the web I frequently encounter the question of whether I am enjoying reading the article in question o...
-
I recently read the following article: What the Buddha Didn't Teach About Reincarnation It says: "This is not to say that “we” ...
-
Someone on twitter/X asked the following question: A mathematician emerges from a cave, hands you the photo below, and asks "Will a c...
-
Below on the left is a photo of me taken back in 1985. I uploaded that photo to ChatGPT and said to it "Generate an image of what this ...
-
There's 2 possibilities: a) This is the only life there is. When we die we simply cease to exist. Our lives and the Universe are, in a...
-
Someone said in a comment under a Guardian article: My solution to this problem is somewhat simplistic. I don't do social media. As in...
-
The Wikipedia page on Lucy Letby First of all, let me say at the outset that I'm really loath to comment on whether I think she's gu...
-
It keeps being claimed (eg David Papineau, Sean Carroll et al ) that if consciousness caused anything in the brain over and above physical c...
-
Woody Allen has said : I firmly believe ... that life is meaningless. I’m not alone in thinking this — there have been many great minds far...
-
According to this article Greenland is the country with the world's highest suicide rate. From 1900-1930 Greenland had a suicide rate ...
-
Sobering thought to think that by around 2150 I will have been completely forgotten -- as if I had never existed. Unless my blogs survive...
No comments:
Post a Comment