Monday 5 August 2019

Before the Internet

I'm reading the following article:

Innocence lost: what did you do before the internet?

It says:
How did [my father] sit there all day, I wonder, without the internet to keep him company? 
In this age of uncertainty, predictions have lost value, but here’s an irrefutable one: quite soon, no person on earth will remember what the world was like before the internet.

I used to read novels, listen to music, watch TV, go out drinking. But yes, the Internet has been a Godsend. 

I hope it won't be that soon before no-one remembers!

I think I first ever used a computer in possibly 1994.  I went on a course for beginners to learn about "windows" and how to send emails etc.  I had never heard of windows at that time.  Anyway, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.  This was in stark contrast to everyone else.  I'm not even sure I successfully sent an email.  Spent a long time trying!  I never went back after that one lesson.

Got my first ever computer in December 1998, first went on the Internet in 1999.  I was blown away!  Unfortunately, I was charged per minute so my time online was strictly curtailed.  It was a dial up connection of course using up the telephone line.  Although see this blog post by me too.

No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...