How did we get here? From living 100,000 years ago in small isolated groups living in caves, to communicating with people across the globe on these devices?
To employ an analogy. We've learnt to play the computer game very efficiently indeed. We can predict very accurately what'll happen when our character performs certain actions.
But we have absolutely no idea how the game is possible -- the underlying machinery that makes it all work. Or why it exists in the first place (despite what scientists would have you believe).
And most importantly of all, why the bloody hell are we here? What or who put us here in this crazy mysterious world? For what purpose, if any?
Our lives are crazy and bizarre. Yet most people are not aware of this, they do not know how bizarre our situation is, how bizarre our lives and the Universe are. They sleepwalk through life thinking the purpose is to impress others, to make money, to get married, and then to die.
And then what happens when we die? Eternal oblivion? Some mysterious new reality? I don't know.
NB: Apart from a couple of posts where I directly quote AI to enable me to address and argue against what it says, AI has not otherwise been used in any shape or form in either this blog nor my "Philosophical Thoughts" blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you enjoy reading this article?
When browsing and reading articles on the web I frequently encounter the question of whether I am enjoying reading the article in question o...
-
I recently read the following article: What the Buddha Didn't Teach About Reincarnation It says: "This is not to say that “we” ...
-
Someone on twitter/X asked the following question: A mathematician emerges from a cave, hands you the photo below, and asks "Will a c...
-
Below on the left is a photo of me taken back in 1985. I uploaded that photo to ChatGPT and said to it "Generate an image of what this ...
-
There's 2 possibilities: a) This is the only life there is. When we die we simply cease to exist. Our lives and the Universe are, in a...
-
Someone said in a comment under a Guardian article: My solution to this problem is somewhat simplistic. I don't do social media. As in...
-
The Wikipedia page on Lucy Letby First of all, let me say at the outset that I'm really loath to comment on whether I think she's gu...
-
It keeps being claimed (eg David Papineau, Sean Carroll et al ) that if consciousness caused anything in the brain over and above physical c...
-
Woody Allen has said : I firmly believe ... that life is meaningless. I’m not alone in thinking this — there have been many great minds far...
-
According to this article Greenland is the country with the world's highest suicide rate. From 1900-1930 Greenland had a suicide rate ...
-
Sobering thought to think that by around 2150 I will have been completely forgotten -- as if I had never existed. Unless my blogs survive...
No comments:
Post a Comment