It's an extremely common tendency to try and justify ones position on any topic by seeking out those opponents who advance the most naive, the weakest and most ridiculous arguments. Or, when arguing with more thoughtful opponents, to attribute to them a more naive or simplistic position than the one they actually hold and attack that.
In addition it seems that people often appear to deliberately avoid clarity and revel in being abstruse. My suspicion is they do this in order to give the impression of winning the argument. In reality though their words convey little, if indeed, any meaning.
These tactics might rally those who subscribe to your view, but does precious little to justify your own position. What is needed is to seek out those opponents who provide the most challenging and sophisticated arguments, and to address those specific arguments. If you can outargue them and even make them appear to be foolish, then you'll have some confidence that your position might well be correct.
It is though very tempting to simply attack your weakest opponents. Or attack the weakest arguments against your position. Or to employ other underhanded strategies in order to "win". It's easy, requires little thought, makes you feel superior, and of course most importantly of all it garners support and admiration from those who share your sentiments and beliefs in the matter in hand.
I would like to thank the following people for having given me the motivation and inspiration to write the above words. Many of those who have left comments on my blog. Countless hundreds of people I have debated with on skeptic/materialist discussion boards over the years, and a special thanks goes to Paul Edwards who wrote the laughably entitled: "Reincarnation: A Critical Examination".
I thank you all.
NB: Apart from a couple of posts where I directly quote AI to enable me to address and argue against what it says, AI has not otherwise been used in any shape or form in either this blog nor my "Philosophical Thoughts" blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did you enjoy reading this article?
When browsing and reading articles on the web I frequently encounter the question of whether I am enjoying reading the article in question o...
-
I recently read the following article: What the Buddha Didn't Teach About Reincarnation It says: "This is not to say that “we” ...
-
Someone on twitter/X asked the following question: A mathematician emerges from a cave, hands you the photo below, and asks "Will a c...
-
Below on the left is a photo of me taken back in 1985. I uploaded that photo to ChatGPT and said to it "Generate an image of what this ...
-
There's 2 possibilities: a) This is the only life there is. When we die we simply cease to exist. Our lives and the Universe are, in a...
-
Someone said in a comment under a Guardian article: My solution to this problem is somewhat simplistic. I don't do social media. As in...
-
The Wikipedia page on Lucy Letby First of all, let me say at the outset that I'm really loath to comment on whether I think she's gu...
-
It keeps being claimed (eg David Papineau, Sean Carroll et al ) that if consciousness caused anything in the brain over and above physical c...
-
Woody Allen has said : I firmly believe ... that life is meaningless. I’m not alone in thinking this — there have been many great minds far...
-
According to this article Greenland is the country with the world's highest suicide rate. From 1900-1930 Greenland had a suicide rate ...
-
Sobering thought to think that by around 2150 I will have been completely forgotten -- as if I had never existed. Unless my blogs survive...
No comments:
Post a Comment