Friday 22 July 2022

The increase in the price of food from July 2021 to July 2022

I thought I would calculate how much food prices have increased in the past year. These are some of the food products I bought from either Morrisons or Sainsburys. I've only included those products that are identical. I haven't deliberately chosen the one's that have increased the most, I've just included those foods I could actually find. In all cases, for those products that continually cycle up and down in price, I've always bought at the low end of the price cycle, i.e., so-called "offers". 

So, as an average, the price I pay for food at supermarkets appears to have roughly increased by 15% in the past year. I do not know how that compares to the official figures. Obviously, it might be the case that the food I've included increased disproportionately compared to average food price increases. But I doubt it will be wildly inaccurate. So, for instance, I doubt claims that food has only risen by about 10% in the past year that I've heard bandied around (although that might have been around a month ago, and prices are relentlessly sharply increasing).








No comments:

Whodunit

People constantly boast about anticipating the "big reveals" or "whodunnits" in novels and films. But, these big reveals...